Some of you may have seen these graphics floating around the internet lately, but if you haven’t you need to take a visual look at a Trillion dollars.
First off a Trillion is a 1 with 12 zeros, it looks like this: $1,000,000,000,000. Okay, so it’s a big number, but let’s put it into perspective.
Before we get to what a trillion dollars looks like visually, here are a couple of interesting statistics:
1. If the printing presses ran from 8-5 every working day, 5 days a week, it would take 72 years to print 1 trillion dollar bills.
2. Stacked on top of one another a trillion dollar bills would be 70,000 MILES high.
3. If you could have spent 1 million dollars per day since the birth of Christ (2009 years ago) you would still need another 740 years to spend a Trillion dollars.
4. One million seconds ago was 10 or 11 days ago
One billion seconds ago was during the Nixon administration
One trillion seconds ago was 30,000 years BC…..wow!
5. To count out One Trillion ($1,000,000,000,000) dollars nonstop without sleeping or eating it would take Thirty-Nine Thousand (39,000) years.
6. If your annual salary or wage is $50,000 it would take you 20 million years to earn a trillion dollars.
7. We could wrap the earth about 4700 times with a trillion one-dollar bills laid end to end around the globe.
8. Assuming there was a roll of 1 trillion – $1 dollar bills, it would take a military jet flying at the speed of sound, reeling out dollar bills behind it, 14 years before it reeled out one trillion dollar bills.
So there’s a little “Trillion Dollar Trivia” for you!
Okay, now let’s look at a Trillion dollars visually.
Here we have a man standing next to 1,000,000 (1 million bucks!) You could put a million in your backpack and have lots of fun!
Notice how small it is compared to an average man.
Next we have $100 million dollars. This can be neatly stacked on a pallet about 4 feet high.
Now we have $1 Billion dollars. This is 10 pallets of $100 million each. This used to be a lot of money…..but to congress a billion dollars falls out of Uncle Sam’s pockets like change.
Although a billion would be a lot of fun to spend……how does it look compared to 1 trillion?
HERE IS 1 TRILLION DOLLARS!
Look at this……what we have here is 10,000 pallets (double stacked so they are about 8 feet high) and each pallet has 100 million dollars on it.
Can you see the little man now in the bottom left corner?
So maybe now we can get a glimpse of the burden government is putting on us in terms of long term debt for this “stimulus” package. Anyone want to run a credit check on the borrower? Oh I forgot, most of the borrowers aren’t even born yet!